How Fire incident stalled Evans’ trial

The trial of the convicted kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans was today stalled owing to a fire incident which affected his transportation to an Ikeja Special Offences Court.

Evans is standing trial alongside Joseph Emeka for attempted kidnap of the chairman of Young Shall Grow Motors, Chief Vincent Obianodo.

The court had on 15 June, fixed today to hear the evidence of Obianodo, via zoom.

At the beginning of proceedings, Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo said that there was a fire incident which affected the transportation of the defendants.

“I was informed by the Officer in Charge of legal (OC) that there was fire incident which affected the transportation of the defendants

“For security reasons, the defendants can not be present in court,” the judge said.

Oluwatoyin adjourned the case till 25 July for trial.

The court had on 11 March ordered Evans to engage a lawyer before the next date of adjournment or be ready to defend himself.

Frank Udeme, one of the co-defendants of Evans had been sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on 11 March.

Udeme had pleaded guilty to selling firearms to Evans.

According to the prosecution, Evans and Emeka committed the offence on 27 Aug., 2013, at Third Avenue in Festac Town, Lagos.

Evans and his accomplice are alleged to have killed one Ngozi Chijioke and attempted to kidnap and kill Obianodo.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to a seven-count charge of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, attempt to kidnap and sale and transfer of firearms over the attempted kidnap of Obianodo.

The sister case before Taiwo has also been adjourned tilll 26 July for the second defendant to open his defence.
The court had on 15 June rejected the submission of the new counsel to Evans, Mr Amobi Nzelu to postpone the trial.

Evans is standing trial along Victor Aduba, an ex-soldier for allegedly kidnapping a businessman, Mr Sylvanus Ahamonu, and collecting a 420,000 dollars ransom from his family.

Evans had on 4 Feb. opened his defence and denied kidnapping Ahamonu and collecting 420,000 dollars ransom from his family.